First, sorry if this is not appropriate in the forum as this is not about traditional online poker. I am referring to a Pokerrr 2 club I am involved with.
- 8-10% rake (depends on day) capped at $2
- stakes are .25/.50, straddle is on but not used too frequently (I tighten my range up in these hands)
- buy in is capped at $150 but most players buy in for $100
- games are 8 handed (sometimes only 6 sitting)
The player pool is of mixed variety, with some tight and aggressive players but a lot of players who limp hands I would put in my PFR range and bet nearly pot on the flop with any connection to the board (even second pair, good kicker). They also have variable opening sizes from 3-5bbs -- I get the impression the player pool is similar to a live 1/2 table at most casinos
I think over-limping preflop would yield a lot of lost value especially with the rake and open limping is just not part of my strategy. Given the info I have my immediate thought is to play far fewer pots, but make them on the bigger side. In my first few sessions I made the mistake of playing too many hands and c-betting to small but I have noticed that the players are also sticky and willing to call bets that should price out flush draws and straight draws, I have had a lot of situations where players are calling my 2/3 pot bets only to get there on the river
My current approach summarized:
- play fewer hands, ideally bigger pots, only limp to close the action with suited connector style hands (not sure how I should treat a hand like JKo when I have 3 limpers ahead of me)
- post flop start betting nearly pot to price out draws with premium hands (TPTK, top two, etc)
- I still need to think about how I want to tweak my open/calling ranges and opening sizing
- I also need to think about how to play multiway pots more -- their ranges are less defined esp when it goes 4 ways to the flop, most hands are multi way
Any input you all have would be great, I have started transitioning form playing online to more so in these clubs and eventually live and am not sure what the best adjustments should be. Thanks!