TheKnightClinic's avatar


0 points

It's actually not a vague question. It's a very specific question about one particular situation. It's a live tournament with 20 minute levels.

Jan. 10, 2020 | 12:01 p.m.

This isn't a hypothetical; it is the situation I will be in first hand of an upcoming SnG I'm playing. Let's assume I am BB, so I close the action. Assume only top 3 in the tournament pay out (with a typical payout structure) and we all start with 200 BB. Assume I have equal skill as other players. I have no information about how he will play after the first hand.

What range should I call with?

Edit: I believe I remembered how to do these ICM calculations. Assuming the payouts are 1st - $1600, 2nd - $1100, and 3rd - $800, I calculated that I should call with all hands that have at least a 54.7% of winning versus a random hand.

Jan. 9, 2020 | 4:02 p.m.

Thanks for the detailed response. You are correct that each tournament is not winner-take-all and ICM is definitely a consideration. The point system for each tournament is...
1st - 16, 2nd - 11, 3rd - 8, 4th - 4, 5th - 3, 6th - 2, 7th - 2, 8th - 1, 9th -1, 10th - 1

*Also, only your top 8 finishes count for points

As for prize distribution at the end, the winner gets an entry to a major tournament in which he receives 60% of whatever he wins at that tournament, and the remaining 40% is distributed between 2nd to 10th place finishers (with 2nd receiving the highest percent, 3rd receiving next highest, etc.). So while that is a small consolation to people who don't win, I am personally treating the final prize distribution as winner-take-all (because the difference in value for me finishing anywhere below 1st is trivial to me).

I would say I'm playing vs a field that has very little understanding of ICM. I understand that this means that I can't adjust to ICM strategies as much as I could if my opponents also considered ICM (but this doesn't mean I shouldn't adjust at all). I'm also speculating that there may be an added benefit to tighter play when you're at a table of players that neglect ICM (because when two players involved in a hand together collectively neglect ICM, the rest of the table benefits. So it's good to not be involved in these "mutually deterimental" pots, isn't it?).

Thanks again for the recommendations.

Edit: Watched Sam Grafton's "Thinking about ICM" and it was excellent.

Dec. 6, 2019 | 3:30 p.m.

Hey everyone,

I'm a new member (Elite), and apologize if this thread does not belong here. I am currently in a 10 player, ten-tournament (live NLHE) series. We compete for points and whoever has the most points after the ten tournaments wins the prize. I am looking for recommendations for videos I should watch that would specifically help me in this competition. Thanks in advance.

Nov. 29, 2019 | 6:30 p.m.

Load more uses cookies to give you the best experience. Learn more about our Cookie Policy