I am 26 years old. I studied 4.5 years economics at the university of Zurich just to quit it without even having a bachelor. You can see - I've never really been in love with it. That's why I decided to turn Poker pro a bit more than 2 years ago.
I am a cash game pro and have been playing up to NL500 (shotted a bit of NL1k) on GG. I did pretty well without putting too much effort in it.
I am currently travelling around the world, living my dream, playing whenever and where I want in order to pay my bills. I love it.
Whenever i had a nice roll on my account I started to play MTTs since I find them really interesting, fun, more competitive and just the feeling / chance before a session that you might win 20k + today is just really exciting isn't it?. At begin, I did really well and made roughly 30k in the first 1.5k mtts (average buy in 75$). Since then (roughly June 2021) I've lost 45k in MTTs tho. I run insanely bad (bubbled like every possible big FT or lost huge flip in softbubble etc) but i do't want to just blame bad luck. I am sure the MTT regs have a (decent) edge on me since i never really studied ICM etc, yet i see soo many bad plays (players) in the tournaments. So i continued to try over and over again, just to keep loosing. It was very frustrating because I felt that I played pretty well.
Mentally it was really tough to handle and i realised how the outcome of a tourney grind day also influenced my happiness / state of mind since i played for quite some money. Beside that, it had also impact on my performances at the cash game tables. Since I played less in the pool I didn't know the players so well anymore, wasn't in the "zone" that often anymore, since cash games and MTTs are just very different in the end. (and its hard to play seriously NL200 after loosing 3-5k on a Sunday haha). So instead of playing cash games and win easy / steady money I lost a bunch at MTTs.
I am completely on my own in this poker journey, in a strategic way. My family and all friends support me which I am really grateful for. But in the pokerworld I basically don't have any personal contacts. That's very much -EV.
Last few weeks
I played a more or less break even Scoop Series on Stars but lost like 95% of my 11k bankroll on GG during that period, always knowing in the back of the head if I really drop down this far I can win it back at cash games if I have to. Pretty stupid in some ways, yet I don't regret it as i think i played pretty well just lost every big flip in big spots, but thats how MTTs work. It just made me realise i need to change something cos can't handle that downswing anymore and its time to focus fully on cash games and grind it up to High Stakes!
My Graph on GG:
- Reach High Stakes Cash Games in the near future
- Having better routines, in life and poker.
- Meditate on a daily basis
- Do some sports / workout (even if its just 50 pushups) daily
- Having a "normal" sleeping schedule. Shutting down every device at 00.00 unless i am playing for leaderboards on GG.
- Read 30min / Day
- I bought A Game Masterclass by Eliot Roe. Try to watch 1 vid / day until i finish it :)
- Improve my Spanish (I am currently in Colombia but going back home soon and i wanna continue learning it)
- Do something nice each day (helping out a person, make a random person smile, gift something nice to someone, something along these lines:)
- Reach ELO 2000 in blitz Chess on lichess.org. Currently at 1725
- Spend much less time on stupid dopamine stuff like IG, watching random poker highlights on YT etc.
- I am a big procrastinator - be aware of it and try to change it everyday by making smarter decisions ;)
- Update this blog regularly
- only on Sundays and max. buy-ins = fish rake back that I earned through the week, so it never effects my bankroll as it did in the past.
- Max 9 tables with more concentration on each table (I played up to 16 tables which obv. is bad for ROI)
- Study every Sunday 1-2 hours RYE or other MTT theory courses before I grind.
--> I don't want to give up MTTS and just want to do them properly / profitable / in a healthier way. My goal is to play some big life events in the (far) future.
But my near future should be focused on cash games because there i know for sure i can make good amount of money without mental stress and with normal sleeping schedule / day structure.
- Solve one spot a day and dive deep into it. Make notes on a google spreadsheet that I share with you guys.
- Before playing: Review marked hands from last session or review HH import in GTO Wizard from last session.
- Only start playing poker on a day if I 1. meditated 2. worked out 3. made my deep analysis of a spot in GTO wizard 4. made my regular warm-up
- Session: Max 90min
- Reach NL 1k+ within next 6-12 months
Hire a coach when I am back home
Road to Glory:
Current bankroll on GG: 625$ :( :( :(
- I'll start at NL25
- move up to NL50 when i reach 1k
- move up to NL100 when i reach 2k
- move up to NL200 when I reach 4k
- move up to NL500 when I reach 11k
move up to NL1k when I feel ready
Play 5 days a week, take one 1 day fully off and do 1 day theory only.
- Go for top 3 in leaderboard min. once but max. twice a week (I don't to spend 8 hours + / day playing poker more then twice a week) -
Here is my spreadsheet where i keep track over my routines, pokerresults, goals and other stuff like notes when I read a book etc. For you guys just the results are relevant I sadly cant block access for the other sheet but whatever :)
Start: Today, 20.06.2022.
Speak to you guys soon.
June 20, 2022 | 11:25 p.m.
Cheating in online poker is sadly getting easier from day to day and therefore also more popular.
I think we, as a community, have to try as hard as we can to fight against it - especially pokercoaching sites like RIO.
We can not tolerate it at all - for very obvious reasons.
Now - jungleman ghosted a rec in a VIP game on an app two years ago which is imo not acceptable for such a well-know high stakes pro like him.
Now i see him as a coach on RIO. Do we let cheaters just play on their game, stay in the community and fuck up the industry?
Guys - i know - i love jungleman as well - but i really think as a coaching site you can not support any form of cheating at all and certainly not hire pokerpros that have (he admitted it) cheated in the past. Thats just a very bad statement: "Yeah we know you regret, let's you won't do it again". IMO in this matter we should apply a zero tolerance strategy - like in E-sports. If you cheat there once, you are done, you are banned LIFETIME and will never get the chance to make it up again.
Any thoughts on that?
(P.s. Also the whole Ali and Jakob scamming story - nobody gives a shit anymore. They all gonna play all the highrollers very soon again (if not already) just like nothing ever happend...)
June 20, 2022 | 5:40 a.m.
Its not about memorizing its about understand the mechanics. And me, in game, i would pure xR A7hh as it blocks 67s and A6s AND has backdoor nutflushdraw and never xR A7dd ss or cc as they only block or have bdfd but dont have both. So i would just choose the combo that has backdoor equity AND blocks. Well, solver says i am wrong - and i wonder why?
June 18, 2022 | 8:25 p.m.
I am currently studying BTN vs BB SRP - i came over the board Kh6d6c.
BB xR strat:
- backdoorflushdraw + backdoorstraight draw hands: f.e 54s, 78s,75s QJs etc
- Ax that unblock his bet / folds A2s - A4s.
- Axo that block his trips: As 4h pure xR as it blocks A6s and 64s (As 4c 0%xR as it doesnt block A6s nor 46s)
Now my question: When I hove over A7s i was very sure to see A7hh and A7ss to be very aggro as they block A6s and A7s and A7dd and A7cc to be more passiv for the mentioned reasons. Well, it's the complete opposite.
Can someone explain me this?
Would be very grateful.
Thanks in advance.
June 18, 2022 | 12:37 a.m.
Daniel Dvoress very last hand: Villain was superpassiv before as you mentioned yourself (not raising straight otr, maybe folding A otr vs your J6o etc): This minraise is so often nuts by fish on a board that is so good for you. Ott when his probably only bluff 9T even gets there isnt it instead of a mandatory call a mandatory fold given how close the decision is (do we really expect villain to be shoving worse here - what? 65?) in chip ev - so under ICM a fold? I dont want to be results-oriented but i really felt like you should have folded?
June 12, 2022 | 3:35 a.m.
For future vid: I really like the content but i got very confused by your "s" that you put at the end of every 2nd word - why is that?
"a valuebets "we get a folds" "I check call if we see a bets" "close to 100 percents" etc - just wanted to highlight that, maybe you didnt realise it until now :) Cheers
Nov. 13, 2021 | 10:16 p.m.
Gret Vid as always Peter Clarke
At min 09.00 you talk about flop stragety Blind vs Blind. A few hands before you had Q2 on 578r and said you mainly want to size up as you have nut advantage.
Now at minute 09.00 on Jd8c2d you argue that since you dont have a nut advantage you want so size down.
My thoughts: on 578r you want to rather want to use smaller sizes as there are a lot of protections bets and merged bets like 76,56, 89 etc (ofc big bets are used as well, but in general i think small makes more sense) and on J82 you dont have any of those protection bets so you stab a lot more polar and therefor want to use only big size. Very interested to here your thoughts.
Nov. 4, 2021 | 12:54 p.m.
I am a 25y old boy. I love all kinds of sports and since around 4years Poker, too. At begin, like most of us, i was a loosing player. In 2019 I was sick of loosing and started to watch vids on RIO, YT and Twitch. Not just a few, i really put in a lot of effort and it paid back: I began to win.
At begin of 2020 i realised that i have a lot of talent in Poker and that there is still a lot of money to be made (against all rumors) in the online poker scene. I quit my economy degree for that reason. Just a few months later i got 4th in the GG Master 150$ for 26k. Nice start!
It really helped my confidence to make it as a pro, to calm my parents and friends who were maybe worrying if i make it in Poker (as they have no clue of it and some of them might still think its a game of luck).
But it had also bad effects:
1. I continued grinding MTTs, even tho i actually wanted to focus on Cash Game. I lost a bunch of my winnings there.
2. MTTs fucked up my lifestyle as i was awake long nights etc.and tilted me way more than Cash Game for obvious reasons.
3. Got lazy in regards of studying etc. as i got "plenty" of money on the side.
I think my biggest opponent in Poker is myself. Without the discipline to warm up before every session, to meditate and workout every (2nd) day and to stay away from MTTs as my skills are definitely located in the Cash Games i can probably skip my Poker Career.
So, thats why I planned to start writing this Blog here on RIO. Here are my Goals:
1. Connect with people in the Poker Community
2. Keep track over myself and share with you guys if I keep the discipline to:
- warm up before every session
- to meditate daily
- to do some sports / workouts daily
- to update this Blog at least every 2nd Dday and share some intresting hands and results.
- study at least on hand in depth every day
3. BRM: I start with 2k --> NL100 (Rush n Cash on GG Poker)
5k --> NL 200
12.5k --> NL 500
25k --> NL1k
4. NO MTTs untill I hit 25k! (As they really fuck up my sleep schedule and the variance tilts me as well)
I am happy to welcome everyone who wants to join my journey :)
Oct. 12, 2020 | 2:55 p.m.
I chose GG Poker mainly because it was full of fishes when i started there (now more and more regs join...), customer support is way better than f.e. stars and i get 50% rakeback so in the end i probably pay the same amount of rake there compared to f.e. stars where i nearly get no rake back.
Thanks for the 2p2 post, tomorrow i will get my new computer and set up everything.
Today I played a bit - run pretty well and stacked some fishes.
Sadly i was very busy (organising computer and preparing my office) so I couldn't do too much Hand Review or anything like that, that I could share with you guys. In Future i want to share at least one or two interesting hands every day.
Result Today: +171$, Current BR: 2606$. Good Night.
P.S. your comment on why I play on GG Poker made me think about it. It sucks hard not being able to use HUDs and Trackers and i will probably start a 2nd BR Challenge on Stars as well where it will be easier to review Hands etc.
Feb. 19, 2020 | 3:27 a.m.
my name is Tim and i am 24years old.
I just broke up my economy studies in order to grind my way up to the top as a full time poker pro.
I would have had a good BR to grind on NL200 on GG Poker but I decided to cash out most of it and restart with 2k on NL50 just to have more on the side and have less variance.
I don't have really a goal where I want to be at the end of the year, as long as I ll make enough money to continue my dream.
I will be posting hands and updates every day and hope to learn also a lot from you guys.
Until now I ve been playing on my laptop which obv. really really bad and I couldn't use PIO at all. Tomorrow this will change as I will buy a good computer + monitor etc.
And here's already the first question: Which computer to recommend me to buy for mainly grinding + solving trees with PIO, so computer will be used mainly for Poker no other stuff.
Would be very thankful for any tips as I dont understand too much of computers...
Looking really forward to share my progress with you guys and move up the stakes very soon.
Current BR: 2'435$.
Feb. 17, 2020 | 7:37 p.m.
Hi, a month ago my friends account got freezed. PS argued that there is evidence that other people would use this account too - which is not true, anyways - he responded to all the questions that were asked and provided proofs etc.
Since then he hasnt heard anything anymore, they just said "we will inform you asap" - he wrote like 7 mails since then asking whats going on but PS doesnt respond him - since a month!!! He has also a good amount of money on the account - he s really desperate and doesnt know what to do anymore thats why i do this post - maybe someone of you guys know what to do now? is there any helpline or something? Because mailing doesnt seem to work with these guys...
Thanks for any tips.